Re: GtkTextView - blank space at the bottom of the
window

At 05:41 PM 3/27/2002 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>Philip Bunce <pjb@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> I am creating a GtkTextView using the following code...
>>
>> sw = gtk_scrolled_window_new(NULL, NULL);
>> gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy (GTK_SCROLLED_WINDOW (sw),
>> GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC,
>> GTK_POLICY_NEVER);
>> sailview.view.text = gtk_text_view_new ();
>> sailview.view.buffer = gtk_text_view_get_buffer (
>> GTK_TEXT_VIEW (sailview.view.text));
>> gtk_text_view_set_wrap_mode (GTK_TEXT_VIEW (sailview.view.text),
>> GTK_WRAP_NONE);
>>
>> Notice that I have noscroll in the y axis
>> The problem I am having is that when I write to this window (via the buffer)
>> the window always expands to slightly
>> more than it needs to in order to display the text. The extra amount seems
>> to be approximately 33 pixels in the y axis
>> when using "Courier 13", and no, my text does not have a trailing '\n' or
>> '\r'.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>> I would like the last line of text to be right at the bottom of the
>> window.
>
>Suggest writing a small, compilable test program, and put it in
>bugzilla.gnome.org, I can look at it at some point. I'm not sure
>offhand what's going wrong.
>
>> In perhaps a related question. I would like to be able to use the
>> mouse to resize the window. I have that working for expanding the
>> window height, but it won't let me reduce the height. I was planning
>&g...

t; to use the allocate event to rewrite the text in the buffer with

>> just the right amount (just like I do when expanding the window
>> height). But there seems to be no way to do this since GTK won't let
>> me use the mouse to shrink the window.
>
>You can't shrink below the size request. So you need to reduce the
>size request. gtk_widget_set_size_request() is the brute-force
>mechanism for that.

Ok. But how do I know when a user is trying to shrink the window? The allocate
event
doesn't get generated until the user releases the mouse button. Is there another
event that I could use to issue a gtk_widget_set_size_request()?

>Havoc

-- Philip J. Bunce, Software Consultant
-- MIPS Assembly, Embedded Systems, PMON, UNIX, & C
-- Ph: 831-659-5684 Fax: 501-325-6812 http://www.carmel.com