GtkTextView - blank space at the bottom of the
window

Hi,

I am creating a GtkTextView using the following code...

sw = gtk_scrolled_window_new(NULL, NULL);
gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy (GTK_SCROLLED_WINDOW (sw),
GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC,
GTK_POLICY_NEVER);
sailview.view.text = gtk_text_view_new ();
sailview.view.buffer = gtk_text_view_get_buffer (
GTK_TEXT_VIEW (sailview.view.text));
gtk_text_view_set_wrap_mode (GTK_TEXT_VIEW (sailview.view.text),
GTK_WRAP_NONE);

Notice that I have noscroll in the y axis
The problem I am having is that when I write to this window (via the buffer)
the window always expands to slightly
more than it needs to in order to display the text. The extra amount seems to
be approximately 33 pixels in the y axis
when using "Courier 13", and no, my text does not have a trailing '\n' or '\r'.

Can anyone help?
I would like the last line of text to be right at the bottom of the window.

In perhaps a related question. I would like to be able to use the mouse to
resize the window. I have that working for
expanding the window height, but it won't let me reduce the height. I was
planning to use the allocate event to
rewrite the text in the buffer with just the right amount (just like I do when
expanding the window height). But there
seems to be no way to do this since GTK won't let me use the mouse to shrink
the window.

Thanks,