Re: [Wiki-research-l] Analysis of spelling
mistakes in WP vs. 'other' sites?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Dan Bolser <dan.bolser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many people in my professional circle berate the quality of Wikipedia
> (without any grounds, IMHO). It occurred to me recently that one
> simple example of the quality of Wikipeida is the fact that you can
> almost guarantee (IME) the correctness of the spelling in WP.
>
> Has anyone ever done a systematic analysis of the number of spelling
> errors compared to 'other' sites? It seems that when reading read-only
> corporate or academic websites, spelling mistakes are not infrequent.
>
> This would be a nice factoid to be able to throw out when the next
> person says "well, I read it in WP so...". (Of course I'm assuming
> spelling is a proxy for overall quality, which is clearly arguable,
> but it's a good sign ;-).
>

> Cheers,
> Dan.

If you're interested in this topic I would *definitely* look at and talk to
the "Guild of Copy Editors" on English Wikipedia.[1] This is a very
effective WikiProject which has monthly backlog elimination drives.[2]

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Guild_of_Copy_Editors