Subject: Re: [gurps] Re: GurpsNet-L Digest, Vol 29, Issue
14

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 04:12 -0900, Michael Adams wrote:
> Or like the last battle before Gondor/Minas Tirith or before the gates of
> Mordor.. Both ending with divine or deadly help.. That they could not win
> with out some help beyond the normal. But agred on the generals concept of
> fighting the last war, how ill prepared WW1 generals were in fighting WW1..
> Most were career colonial officers, never commanding more than maybe a
> Brigade (several regiments brigaded together). Most being in command until
> they died, with no need for more, since to advance you had to wait for the
> man above you to die in place, or you made alot of money and bought your
> next higher level.

Actually, by WWI bought commissions were gone. Even before then you
couldn't just buy a rank - there had to be an opening, and you had to
persuade the Army you qualified. Generally the rank would be made
available for purchase to the most senior officers of the next lower
rank, first in the unit the opening was in, and then in the Army as a
whole. It wasn't the best system, but it wasn't the worst, either.

> Though command attitudes and like, would make for some wierd RPGing in a
> future of our planet war? Not what you know, but who you know or how much
> you have in money? How would a like situation developed in our future? I
> know many accuse West Pointers of being someone good old boy, I don't think
> they are any where near as bad as how the British army officers corps was in
> 1914/1918.

One thing worth noting is that no Army entering WWI in 1914 was prepared
for the way it turned out to be fought. Heck, the US Army, entering
late, still wasn't prepared for it.