Subject: Sort of working sound on Sony VAIO

I just purchased a new VAIO a few days ago (PCG-GR390) and I read through the
thread about getting the sound to work. I found PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES in
sys/pci/pci.c, so I added to sys/conf/options and got the ICH3 sound controller
probed:
pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)> port 0x18c0-0x18ff,0x1c00-0x1cff irq 9 at device
31.5 on pci0
However, I've found that the sound only works while I'm using the network card
heavily (i.e. downloading large files through ftp). When the nic is largely
inactive, I see this:
pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
Anybody have any ideas about getting it to work without having the nic busy?
(I've attached full dmesg for those interested).

Jeremy