Subject: Re: Sound on Sony VAIO PCG-GR300

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 17:44, Chip Marshall wrote:
> Okay, I got my VAIO running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE pretty happily, with
> Xfree86 4.2 up and running. Now I'm having trouble with the sound. I
> tried using the Open Sound drivers, but they just complain about
> "i810: Output timed out", apparently regardless to configuration. So
> now I'm trying the FreeBSD drivers.
>
> In /boot/loader.conf, I put snd_ich_load="YES", and rebooted. It
> appears to load the ich and pcm modules just fine. But I end up
> getting a bunch of these:
>
> pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)> irq 9 at device 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: unable to map IO port space
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> According to Windows XP (in which sound works fine), the sound device
> is using IRQ 9 and IO ports F600-F6FF and FEC0-FEFF.

Yep, this is the same problems I got. The closest thing I got to
working sound was under -CURRENT with a -CURRENT-only kernel option. I
eventually sold my laptop to a friend, and bought a Dell Inspiron 8100.
He is fine with Windows, and I am happily running -stable with 1600x1200
24-bit video, and full stereo sound.

Joe

> Any pointers on making this work? It's the one thing holding this back
> from being the perfect laptop for me.
>
> Well, that an mozilla won't run, but that's another issue.
>
> --
> Chip Marshall <chip@xxxxxxxxxx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
> GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a20>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+ V--
> PS+ PE Y+ PGP+ t+@ 5 X R@ tv+() b++>+++ DI++++ D(-) G++ e>++ h->++ r...