Subject: Talking to a Palm over USB (was Re: Talking to a
Palm over IR?)

Chad R. Larson wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 12:46:55PM -0800, Lars Eggert wrote:

OK, here we go: Has anyone managed to connect to a Palm (m500, but it should not matter) over Infrared? My IR port shows up as sio1, but no luck.

Or is IRDA support required, even though it looks like a serial port? (Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to IR.) In that case, I think NetBSD just got some basic support for it.

IIRC, Palm OS 2.x and earlier had a proprietary protocol for the IR
transfers, but that they now use IrDA.

So you might have half a chance...

So I gave up on IrDA, and instead am now trying to sync via the USB cradle that came with the Palm. The good news is that it attaches as ugen0 when I press the sync button on the cradle:

ugen0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2

Things go south from there. Using pilot-xfer (from pilot-link version 0.9.5 from ports), I press the Hotsync button on the cradle and then start pilot-xfer:

[larse@hbo: ~] pilot-xfer -p /dev/ugen0 -l

Unable to bind to port /dev/ugen0
pi_bind: Invalid argument

So I tried coldsync (version 2.1.3, also build from ports), which seems to have some support for USB builtin:

[larse@hbo: ~] coldsync -p /dev/ugen0 -t usb
Please press the HotSync button.
pconn_usb_open: Warning: Unexpected USB vendor ID 0x830.

I'm at loss on how to continue here. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@xxxxxxx> Information Sciences Institute