Subject: Install problems on Sony VAIO PCG-GR300

Hello everybody, I just got a shiny new VAIO PCG-GR300 yesterday with
Windows XP Home installed, so naturally the first thing I tried to do
was install FreeBSD 4.5-R from the FreeBSD Mall CD's. The laptop
shipped with a FAT partition and an NTFS partition (latter in an
extended partition.) I used Partition Magic to cut the NTFS partition
in half, creating a third primary unformatted partition.

At this point, I can reboot and everything seems happy.

I then pop in the FreeBSD install CD, and go though the install
procedure. I install onto the new 3rd primary partition, and tell it
not to install a boot loader, intending to use WinXP's loader. The
install goes fine and everything seems happy. However, when I reboot
I'm greeted by a nice and friendly "Missing operating system" message.

I've been through this twice today. The first time I popped in the
Sony Recovery CD's, and did a full restore. I tried a partial restore
first, but it didn't work, same error message. It seems that the
partition table is wonky, since the restore program complains that D:
is missing.

Any ideas?

--
Chip Marshall <chip@xxxxxxxxxx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/