Subject: Re: ATA flash card under 4-STABLE

Er, you're trying to boot from the compact flash? You're out of luck doing that from a PCCard slot. You'd have to have a desktop PC with an ATA/CF connector.

You can get it to mount etc. from a PCCard slot, but only after the system has booted.

Eric

Attila Nagy wrote:
Hello,

: Mar 22 23:11:02 keksz /kernel: pccard: card inserted, slot 0
: Mar 22 23:11:07 keksz pccardd[40]: Card "128MB"(" ") [5.0] [(null)] has
function ID 4
: Mar 22 23:11:12 keksz pccardd[40]: driver allocation failed for
(null)((null)): Device not configured
You likely need to create a custom entry for the card then, because the
default one doesn't work on your machine due to resource conflicts.

Could you please help me in this?
This is my first encounter with PCMCIA related stuff, so I don't really
know what should I do.
I tried to place some ATA related entries from /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
to /etc/pccard.conf with the card "128MB" " " line, but got similar
errors like the above.
What else should I do?

Another question is if I can access the card with a good pccard.conf
entry, how will it be possible to boot from that? The machine has a BIOS
extension which is able to boot from the flash, but I don't understand how
will this boot a FreeBSD system? Say, I can load the kernel, it executes,
but right after that I can't access the flash for the root FS, because the
kernel doesn't recognize the ATA flashcard as a valid ATA device. And
pccardd comes into picture later...

Thanks a lot!
--------[ Free Software ISOs - ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/ ]-------
Attila Nagy e-mail: Attila.Nagy@xxxxxx