Subject: Re: Xircom PCMCIA NIC problem with new install of
FreeBSD 4.5-Rel

> From: Michael W.Holdeman <ptfd9100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:31:25 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

> I went to the archives, and got some info, as well as help from here. Mine
> (REM56+) is working now but I still have to do ifconfig and set the address,
> and defailt route every time I boot up. The pccard_flags+"-z" is supposed to
> keep the system from finishing rc.conf untill the nic is done but I haven't
> got it right yet.

Add pccardd_flags="-z" to /etc/rc.conf. Note the "dd"!

> Here is what I had to do to get mine to at least configure.
>
> Add to /etc/sysctl.conf
>

> # /etc/sysctl.conf
> machdep.pccard.mem_start=oxdoooo

> I added to /etc/rc.conf
>

> # /etc/rc.conf
> linux_enable="Yes"
> pccard_enable="YES"
> pccard_mem="0xd0000"
> pccard_ifconfig_xe0="inet 192.168.14.8 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Should be either pccard_ifconfig OR ifconfig_xe0. pccard_ifconfig_xe0
will do nothing. pccard_ifconfig do the same ifconfig for ANY pccard
NIC while ifconfig_xe0 will apply ONLY to the first interface that
uses the xe driver.

> defaultrouter="192.168.14.1"
> hostname="chiefnb.ptfd.org"

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer