Re: Alpha Build

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:49:30PM -0500, Scott Sipe wrote:
> On Monday 25 March 2002 16:45, you wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:24:44PM -0500, Scott Sipe wrote:
> > > There are 4 AlphaStation 600's from which I could pick, 2 of them have
> > > 'TGA graphics cards', 2 have "normal" graphics cards and "can run X."
> > >  Seeing as right now I know next to nothing about Alpha's, would it be
> > > better to pick one or the other, or, would one or the other be better for
> > > freeBSD testing?
> >
> > 'normal' graphics card is slightly non-descriptive I'm afraid ;)
> >
> > Can you get a SHOW CONF & SHOW DEV from all machines? Just hook up a serial
> > port of a PC (or terminal) to serial port #1 of the Allpha (9600N81)
> > and look for the >>> prompt before entering the command.
> >
> > SHOW CONF will give you all info on the box. CPU speed, memory,
> > expansion boards etc. SHOW DEVICES will give you the peripherals
> >
> > Wilko
>
> I really can't I don't think, unfortunately. These computers as I understand
> are sitting somewhere in a closet in my school's CS department. I'll see
> what I can do though. I'll probably try to take a look at them tomorrow or
> something.

Well, whatever you can find out about them will probably help us help you.

You want: the one with the most memory. Generally a cheap,
simple PCI VGA card will do it in case you end up with an oddball
display adapter. Disks are also handy, as is a working CD drive.

And I forgot: don't connect a keyboard, that should make the console default
to serial.

Wilko