Re: Expected compiler error on GENERIC?

David O'Brien writes:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 04:13:06PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > The line in question is
> > if (!badaddr((void *)&t2_csr[1]->tlbbr, sizeof(long))) {
> > but I don't know what the type of tlbbr is, but it is either volatile
> > or const for some reason...
>
> `tlbbr' is u_long.
> `t2_csr' is "volatile", and is the source of the warning.

Please: what's the proper way to cast away the volatile & shut the
f*ing compiler up?

FWIW, the code is checking for hardware which the docs state may be
present, but which nobody has encountered in the wild & which FreeBSD
is (currently) unprepared to deal with. If anybody complains that
FreeBSD doesn't see the second PCI hose on a sable or lynx, that
"Found EXT_IO!!!!" printf in their dmesg will remind me of what's
going on. As a last resort, the check could be removed, but I'd
prefer to leave it there.

Drew