Subject: Re: Performance improvement suggestions

On 14 Jan 2013, at 12:43, nels <nbhchan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alexios Giotis wrote
>>> use a server VM and
>> Yes, it will definitely help.
>
> Where can I find instructions on setting up a server VM?

You will have to check the Java documentation. For Sun/Oracle JVMs, we
typically add -server command line option, when we start java. Last time I
worked on AIX, there was no java ...

> Alexios Giotis wrote
>> You will have to write at least how many pages your documents are and what
>> you mean by "near instantaneous conversion". Assuming you have images and
>> an output of 2-4 pages, it will be hard to get below 100ms per document,
>> after warming up. Having said that, here is some other points that will
>> help:
>>
>> * Create a single org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactory and reuse it. It should
>> be thread-safe and this is how you will get the best performance after
>> rendering a couple of documents (warm-up)
>
> How do you do that?

I assume you have some Java programming background. Check
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/embedding.html

The example that is closer to what you are doing is:
ExampleXML2PDF (referenced in the above link).

> Alexios Giotis wrote
>> * Make sure the JVM has enough heap (-Xmx). I would not recommend below
>> 512MB.
>>
>> * If you don't need complex script support (e.g. Arabic, Hebrew scripts),
>> then use
>> userAgent.setComplexScriptFeaturesEnabled(false);
>> <...

/i>
>> * This is obvious, but use the latest FOP release.
>
> I'll try these. I'm using 1.1 RC1 and JRE 1.6 on AIX 5.3.

Update to FOP 1.1 release.

Finally, I have noticed some performance improvements using
fopFactory.setStrictValidation(false);

Alexis Giotis