Subject: Re: Performance improvement suggestions

Hi,

tables are good for data grids, but you can use alternate solution in
many cases.

Example 1: Border can apply to many FOs, so you don't need to use table here.

Example 2: title starting with graphic symbol:

table solution needs a complete table structure:
fo:table/fo:table-body/fo:table-row, plus 2 table-cell (witch consumes
time and memory)

Alternative: only 2 fo:block-container:
<fo:block-container keep-with-next="always" space-after="-{$my_inner_height}">
<!-- graphic block -->
</fo:block-container>
<fo:block-container start-indent="{$my_width_allocated_to_graphic_symbol}">
<fo:block start-indent="0">My title</fo:block>
</fo:block-container>

Note that such solution need to understand how indent inheritance is
done in XSL-FO (see [1]).

HTH

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/IndentInheritance

2013/1/14 nels <nbhchan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> My first FOP project ... I am trying to provide near instantaneous conversion
> of XML to PDF for our users and have written a custom XSL-FO. Having read a
> number of threads here I have seen the suggestion to replace PNG images with
> JPG. I have done this though from my timings I can't say with certainty that
> run times have reduced. I have seen other suggestions and seek some more
> information as to how to implement them - they are:
>
> load style sheets into memory,
> use a server VM and
> don't use tables.
>
> The third suggestion I could probably do but would take a fair bit of effort
> and I would like to know up front if this would speed things up
> significantly. Also how do I draw ...

the table cell borders if I don't

--
pascal