Re: FOP in a Text Editing context

FOP doesn't cover this. You could reuse the low-level hyphenation and
line-breaking classes from FOP but the rest is FO-specific and does not
provide support for AttributedString. You'd have to build that part
yourself.

You could also look at the javax.swing.text package which contains some basic
infrastructure for editors.