Subject: Re: Unexpected error message with wrapper

On 09 Feb 2009, at 22:13, Amick, Eric wrote:

Hi Eric,

I have the following simple test file in FO:
<snip />
When I run it through 0.94 or 0.95, I get the following error messages:

Feb 9, 2009 4:06:26 PM org.apache.fop.fo.FObjMixed flushText
SEVERE: Could not create block pointers. FOText w/o Block ancestor.
Feb 9, 2009 4:06:26 PM org.apache.fop.fo.FObjMixed flushText
SEVERE: Could not create block pointers. FOText w/o Block ancestor.
Feb 9, 2009 4:06:26 PM org.apache.fop.fo.FObjMixed flushText
SEVERE: Could not create block pointers. FOText w/o Block ancestor.
Feb 9, 2009 4:06:26 PM org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.FlowLayoutManager getNextKnuthElements
SEVERE: inline area not allowed under flow - ignoring

(FOP produces the PDF just fine, BTW.) Unless I've misread the spec, wrapper should be legal as a child of flow. When I change wrapper to block-container, the messages go away. Am I missing something, or is this truly a bug?

These were indeed two bugs.
I was almost certain both had been fixed, so just tried FOP Trunk, and there it's no longer an issue.

FWIW: the following /would/ be an error

<flow ...>
<wrapper ...>Some text
<inline ...>

Since the children of the wrapper should be legal children to its nearest non-wrapper ancestor. The first error message above actually points in that direction, but 0.95 did not yet take into account white- space only nodes (with default white-space/linefeed-treatment)

The second error message above points to an inline-area that is ignored, which also caused the 'id' property to lose its effect on wrappers. Starting with the next release, wrappers will be treated as neutral objects, generating a block-area if they appear under the flow or as a child of a block-container, or an inline-area otherwise.

Regards

Andreas