Re: cell number overflow

Hi,

Li, Hao wrote:
> FOP 0.93 and 0.94 may just give the warning below and continue to render:
>
> WARNING: There are fewer table-columns than are needed. Column 5 was
> accessed, b
> ut only 4 columns have been defined. The last defined column will be reused.
> (fo
> :table, location: 23/245)

Like you noticed this wasnât working properly.

> FOP 0.95 must have changed a lot. Would not it be nice not to throw an
> exception?

No, otherwise we canât offer the âspeedâ option like I explained in my
earlier message.

> Since 0.95 has done a lot work to process tables without the
> table-column definition, it appears that this case can be handled
> better.

How do you think it should be handled?

> It would also be nice that column definitions doesn't have to be
> strictly limited to all columns but just the few columns that user
> wants. For example, if I only want column#2 to be 200px wide, then
> I will define only column#2. Other columns will be equally spaced.

You can do that. FOP will fill the holes with default columns, whose
widths will be set to "proportional-column-width(1)". You just have to
explicitly specify a table-column element for the last column, so that
the number of columns can be obtained. For example:
<fo:table table-layout="fixed" width="100%">
<fo:table-column column-number="2" column-width="3cm"/>
<fo:table-column column-number="5"
column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
<fo:table-body>

This is a table with 5 columns, all of the same width except column
number 2 that will be 3cm wide.

What I should have added in my earlier answer is that if you donât put
table-column elements at all, then itâs as if you specified them all
with "proportional-column-width(1)". If you need different widths for
some columns, then you have to explicitly specify them.

> Another issue we noticed is that table-cell can not take percentage,
> only table-column can do it.

Setting width on table-cell elements isnât properly supported yet.

> Percentage is always preferred because the table may be nested thus
> does not necessarily take up all the width of a page. But if the above
> case occurs, the table won't even be rendered.
>
> thanks,
>
> Hao

Vincent