Subject: Re: Suppress the Form-Feed at the end of a
page-sequence

On 03.02.2009 18:38:55 Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On 03 Feb 2009, at 17:23, Steffanina, Jeff wrote:
>

> > To clarify: Current Process
> > When you come to the end of a page-sequence, FOP automatically
> > executes
> > a form feed and continues at the top of the NEXT page.
> >

> > Desired Process:
> > When you get to the end of a page-sequence, do NOT advance to the
> > top of
> > the next page. Instead, continue printing exactly where you left
> > off on
> > the same page.
>
> In that case, the answer is no for the area-tree based renderers (PDF,
> PS, Java2D...). Layout is performed for each page-sequence
> separately, which is precisely the reason why splitting a document
> into multiple page-sequences has a beneficial impact on memory usage.
> The last page of a sequence and the first page of the next sequence
> are distinct objects in the area tree.

Ah, now I get what Jeff probably means. Andreas is right here. XSL-FO
requires that behaviour.

> If I understand Jeremias' question correctly, then something like that
> MAY be possible for the RTFHandler or TextHandler, since they do not
> rely on the information in the area tree, but process the FO events
> directly.

Plain text output is implemented as a renderer. The reason I asked about
plain text output is that form feeds are used there. I assumed (without
checking) there might be unwanted form feeds at the end of the document
and a printer might spit out an empty page because of that.