Re: Re: Shrinking ext3 directories

On Jun 22, 2002 20:33 +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Saturday 22 June 2002 08:56, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > One things of note - it is currently impossible to have a directory with
> > an i_size larger than 2GB, because i_size_high is really i_dir_acl
> > overloaded. Even though we don't need i_dir_acl anymore with EA's, all
> > of the older kernels would break if they mounted such a filesystem.
> > Whether they would be broken anyways trying to read a 2GB+ directory
> > is another question entirely.
>
> I was going to ask you about that earlier - where do we lose the sign
> bit?

Well, I was thinking LFS - normally the limit is 2GB for files unless
you have LARGEFILE set. After that the limit is much higher. I
suppose it would be possible to implement a separate per-file limit
on directories. There is no real reason why we can't store 4GB dir
sizes on disk though.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger