Asemmbly errros attempting to compile sgi cvs for
vr4181

While attempting to compile the latest sgi mips kernel, version 2.4.18
for the vr4181 processor, I am receiving the following type of errors:

int_handler.S:129: Error: missing ')'
int_handler.S:129: Error: illegal operands `lui'
int_handler.S:130: Error: missing ')'
int_handler.S:130: Error: bad expression
int_handler.S:130: Error: illegal operands `lhu'
int_handler.S:131: Error: missing ')'
int_handler.S:131: Error: bad expression
int_handler.S:131: Error: illegal operands `lhu'

This is with binutils 2.11.92 and gcc 3.0.4. Though, my knowledge of
mips assembly is in its infancy, the referenced code appears to be
correct. Is this a compiler problem or perhaps something simple which I
am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Jesse W. Hathaway