Mother Mary Dominica Wieneke

(Photos: Mary Dominica. OSF in Germany, and Iowa. Briar Cliff.)

http://www.briarcliff.edu/

Mary Magdalene Wieneke-Rosamond is my grandmother. She married Frank
Rosamond, who took the name Royal as a pen name. Mary's cousins were
Nuns, and one was Mother Mary Dominica Wieneke, Major Superior of
the Sisters of Saint Francis of Dubuque, Iowa, co-founder of Briar
Cliff University. Mother Mary's brother was Father John Wieneke,
brother of Philophena (Sister Mary Callista OSF) Wieneke, and Rosa E
(Sister Mary Wieneke (Petronela OSF)).

The Order of Saint Francis was forced to flee Herford Germany due to
Bismark's Protestant "Kultur Kampf," launched against Catholcism,
aimed ate ridding the Fatherland of Popish power. That this holy
lineage would enjoin the Loyal Orange Lodge in holy matrimony, is
profound, as it resulted in a great split in our family.

The only ambition my parents had for me came from my mother,
Rosemary, who in a trance would express her desire to see me as a
Franciscan Monk. I now understand that most of her trances were
conjuring up surreal ideations from her upbringing where her mother
Mary has resisted her calling to join the OSF, and instead has
elected her eldest daughter, June, to be a pseudo-Nun, in order to
keep her younger sisters in line. Aunt June attempted to control
Rosemary's children when we moved down to Los Angeles.

This control established a matriarch rule in our family that ended
up banishing all the males into what I titles Presco Purgatory. This
rule by Rosy Dominating Mother Superiors is responsible for my late
sister's success, and the creation of a cult where `Rosamond' is
revered, worshipped like an object of Catholic adoration, she the
model for many of her images of beautiful Madonna-like women found
all over the world.

Though we were raised Catholic, we did not honor our communions. I
walked out of my first confession. Rosemary put her hope of
redemption in Victoria Mary Presco, her youngest child, she sent off
to Catholic school. Victoria Mary would employ outsiders to take
control of the Rosamond Cult, and when my daughter came into my life
at sixteen, Victoria seduced her, made her one with them.

These women are amoral. None of the cult members know about the OSF.
Aunt Lillian is a hedonist, and the only surviving Rosamond Sister.
Lillian told me how June used to force her sisters to go to
confession after being caught being naughty. She and Victoria are
into excommunicating family members who do not recite their lies
like a catechism. Using ones brains is forbidden. If you ask too
many good questions you will be titled a Abuser of Women. I am glad
to be free of their narrow minded ignorance that thrives on vicious
rumors, dreadful family secrets, and superstition.

In the Wieneke genealogy I am the ? after Mark, my brother, who
banned me from the family for not buying the lies of how our sister
drowned, and thus ommitted my name when questioned by the Wieneke
geneologists.

These oppressed, abandoned, and hidden religious family agendas
emerged when I had a near-death experience in 1967, and again when I
attended a three day conference at a Catholic college in Portland
where followers of Meher Baba from all over the world gathered in
1987.

About Briar Cliff University

In 1929, only briar patches covered a 175-foot hill located on the
western outskirts of Sioux City, Iowa. But two people--Mother Mary
Dominica Wieneke, Major Superior of the Sisters of Saint Francis of
Dubuque, Iowa, and the Most Reverend Edmond Heelan, Bishop of the
Sioux City Diocese--had a vision. They envisioned that hill crowned
with a Catholic college for women.
Mother Dominica and Bishop Heelan met on March 9, 1929, with members
of the Sioux City business community. These community leaders
committed themselves to raising $25,000 to support the establishment
of a college in Sioux City. On March 30, 1930, at the laying of the
cornerstone for the first building, Heelan Hall, Bishop Heelan
commented that, "the duty of education must not only prepare one for
citizenship but also prepare one for eternity."

This was truly the spirit of the education that the Sisters of Saint
Francis brought to Sioux City.
The twelve foundresses of the College were carefully chosen by
Mother Dominica. They were led by Sister Mary Servatius Greenen, who
was named the first president. The College was dedicated on
September 18, 1930, and the first group of 25 students arrived four
days later. The College was named Briar Cliff after the hill on
which it is located. It was also given the name Our Lady of Grace to
connect it with the rich Catholic tradition which was its foundation.

In 1937, Briar Cliff's two-year education program was expanded to
four years. The subsequent years saw rapid growth in the student
population and the campus. In 1965, fifty-five men were admitted to
the College; Briar Cliff formally became a coeducational college in
1966 with the admission of 150 full-time male students. In addition
to its liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the College added
professional programs to serve the needs of its students.

The growth in students and academic programs required an expansion
of the physical plant as well. Construction has included a four-
story wing added to Heelan Hall in 1948; the library and Our Lady of
Grace Chapel in 1958; Alverno Hall, originally a women's residence,
in 1964; a gymnasium in 1966; Toller Hall, originally a men's
residence, in 1967; Noonan Hall in 1968; Newman Flanagan Center in
1982; and the Baxter-DiGiovanni Living/Learning Center in 1988. In
1993, the Bishop Mueller Library was renovated. The Stark Student
Center opened in the fall of 2000 and the McCoy Arnold Center opened
in 2004.

Briar Cliff has been served throughout its history by dedicated and
talented faculty, staff, and administrators. The presence of the
Sisters of Saint Francis has continued to be vital to every aspect
of the college. The eight preceding presidents have each contributed
in a special way to the growth and development of the college. The
history of Briar Cliff University is one of patience, perseverance,
and unyielding commitment. It is an institution with a rich Catholic
heritage and a strong tradition of service to the community.

http://www.osfdbq.org/

http://www.osfdbq.org/about/history/history.html

Mother Dominica Wieneke1920-1932 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH Born: April 14,
1865

Place of birth: Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Baptized: Philippine Wieneke

Entered Mount St. Francis: February 7, 1881

Fourth leader of the congregation.Died: November 17, 1959

Profile of Leadership Style History refers to Mother Dominica as a
born leader. She had an attractive personality with the ability to
make difficult decisions and the persuasive power to lead others to
accept them. During her years of leadership Mount St. Francis was
built (1925) and also Sacred Heart Hospital in LeMars (1923).Hers
was also a time of new educational developments. Briar Cliff College
in Sioux City, Iowa was built (1930) and Sisters were sent to teach
in schools in Illinois and Oregon, expanding the community's
horizons. Long before the invitation to religious congregations from
Pope John XXIII to send missionaries to South America, Mother
Dominica sent Sisters to China (1931) as a gift of gratitude to God
for blessings received by the community in the 50 years of its
existence in America. (1925).

A Touching Story----excerpted from "They Have Taken Root" by Mousel,
p. 235 At the time of her election as Mother General, she was fifty-
five years old. Almost forty of these years she had spent in
religious life?for the most part in the capacity of local superior
at one house or another of the congregation. Her understanding of
her Sisters' difficulties and problems was therefore sympathetic.
One of the circumstances she especially regretted, as the
congregation grew larger, was the inevitable lack of a compact
family unity. She made every effort, at the cost of much self-
sacrifice, to supply this lack?chiefly by trying to be a mother to
her Sisters through making herself accessible to them at all times.

It was toward this end, when the Sisters were to receive their
appointments for the year, that she did not merely bulletin these
appointments, or hand them out in written form; she gave each Sister
her appointment in a personal interview. This procedure would, of
course, be quite impossible today. The point is that, although it
was still possible up to 1932, it was possible only at a
considerable cost even then. The interview was the Sisters'
opportunity?if they wished to take it?of discussing their problems,
seeking advice, even stating reasonable objections to their
appointments, or merely enjoying a friendly little chat with their
Mother General. A rather touching story is told of how at the end of
such an interview a Sister bade Mother M. Dominica goodbye, as she
was soon to leave for her mission. Mother reciprocated with friendly
words, but the Sister seemed to be waiting for something more.
Already at the door, she hesitated, then took an impulsive step back
into the room. "Mother," she blurted out, with distress prominent in
her voice, "you forgot to say, `God Bless you.' I can't go without
it." Needless to say, Mother made loving amends for her forgetfulness

http://www.osfdbq.org/about/history/history.html

The History of Mount St. Francis The Sisters of St. Francis of the
Holy Family were founded in Herford, Germany in 1864. Forced to
emigrate by the Kulturkampf, the small community arrived in Iowa
City on Sept. 8, 1875. Here they established the first orphanage
under Catholic auspices in the state of Iowa. In 1878, Bishop
Hennessy invited them to move to Dubuque to establish a diocesan
orphanage. Today, 125 years later, Mount St. Francis Center in
Dubuque is the home for approximately 375 sisters. It is also home
for those who are retired and those who need full-time nursing care.
It houses the central administrative offices of the congregation as
well as the novitiate community, where young women live and study as
they prepare to become members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulturkampf

Kulturkampf
Kulturkampf (kooltOOr'kämpf") [key][Ger.,=conflict of cultures], the
conflict between the German government under Bismarck and the Roman
Catholic Church. The promulgation (1870) of the dogma of the
infallibility of the pope in matters of faith and morals within the
church sparked the conflict; it implied that the pope was the
defender of the church against incursions by states. The German
bishops and most lay Catholics supported this dogma. Bismarck, who
was anxious to strengthen the central power of the new German
Empire, feared the strongly organized church, which found its
political voice in the Catholic Center party (organized 1870).

The Center party received additional support from particularists in
Bavaria and from other disaffected minorities such as the suppressed
Poles in Prussia and the Guelph party of Hanover, which refused to
recognize Hanover's annexation (1866) by Prussia. In his opposition
to the church, Bismarck found himself in alliance with the liberals,
the traditional opponents of the church. The struggle was initiated
by the abolition (July, 1871) of the Catholic department in the
Prussian ministry of culture. Feelings grew stronger when Bismarck
gave support to the small group of churchmen led by Döllinger who
refused to accept the dogma of papal infallibility. In 1872,
Bismarck gave the state direct control of the schools in Prussia and
obtained the expulsion of the Jesuits, first from Prussia and then
from Germany as a whole. The May Laws (of May, 1873) restricted the
disciplinary powers of the church, placed the education of the
clergy under state supervision, and provided for the punishment of
those who refused to cooperate. Next, civil ceremonies became
obligatory for marriages in Germany. The church resisted these laws,
and many clerics were imprisoned or removed from office for their
refusal to comply. Meanwhile, the Center party increased its
strength significantly. After its large gains in the Reichstag
elections of 1878, Bismarck began to moderate his policy, influenced
also by the alienation of the liberals through his protective tariff
policies. The death of Pope Pius IX (1878) aided the gradual
resolution of the conflict. Many of the antichurch laws were
repealed or fell into disuse. In 1887 a modus vivendi was reached
with Pope Leo XIII. In evaluating the Kulturmpf in Germany it is
important to remember that the church was at odds with a number of
European states during this period.

History

The Community of The Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis
traces its heritage to 1860 and Herford, Germany, where the Sisters
first taught school and cared for orphans.
Life was not easy for them in those days. It was the era of Bismark,
the so-called "Iron Chancellor" of the country, and his "Kultur
Kampf," which persecuted the church violently. Eventually, the
Sisters were banished from their homeland.

The tiny band of 25 Sisters and four postulants, led by Mother Mary
Xavier, took refuge in America and finally settled in Iowa City,
Iowa, in 1875. Just as they did in their native Germany, the Sisters
settled in to teach. But they struggled with great poverty.

A pastor in Peoria became aware of their plight and, in an effort to
help, asked them to establish a much-needed hospital there. After
the Sisters had begun their work in Peoria, young women from
throughout the state, as well as Germany and Holland, sought
entrance into the Community.

Soon, new missions were established and Sisters were sent out to
begin hospitals in other communities. Among them was St. Joseph's
Hospital in Bloomington (now OSF St. Joseph Medical Center), which
opened in 1880. Through the years, OSF St. Joseph has been the site
of many medical advancements and achievements. In the early 1900s,
it served as a clinical forum for the outstanding surgeons from
throughout the United States and Europe, holding international
society meetings and hosting demonstrations by renowned physicians
from Switzerland and Austria. The first successful blood transfusion
in central Illinois was performed at OSF St. Joseph in 1929. The
first successful radiation therapy treatment in central Illinois was
performed here in the 1940s and in 1982, we introduced laser surgery
to the area. In 1999, OSF St. Joseph Medical Center was named one of
the Top 100 Cardiac Hospitals in the nation, recognizing its cardiac
bypass surgery service for consistently high quality care and
efficient operation.

Today, through OSF Healthcare System, The Sisters of the Third Order
of St. Francis oversee operations of an integrated network
consisting of hospitals, long-term care facilities, an insurance
company, a physician group, and divisions in home care, equipment
technologies and administrative support.

http://www.briarcliff.edu/

Heinrich WIENEKE
1798 - 7 Mar 1890
BIRTH: 1798, Deu
DEATH: 7 Mar 1890, Iowa, USA
Family 1 : Anna Katharina KLEINSCHALAU
+Johann Conrad WIENEKE
+Anna Maria WIENEKE
+Johann (John) WIENEKE
Heinrich WIENEKE
+Margaretta WIENEKE
+Heinrich (Henry) WIENEKE
+Elizabeth (Lizzie) WIENEKE
+Christoph Johann WIENEKE
+Anna Mary Catharine WIENEKE

Johann Conrad WIENEKE
14 Jul 1827 - 2 Nov 1905
BIRTH: 14 Jul 1827, Deu
DEATH: 2 Nov 1905
Father: Heinrich WIENEKE Mother: Anna Katharina KLEINSCHALAU Family
1 : Mary HEIL
MARRIAGE: 14 Apr 1968
+Anna WIENEKE
+Elizabeth (Lizzie) WIENEKE
+Conrad Ferdinand WIENEKE
+Mary WIENEKE
Bertha WIENEKE
+Eutrophia Maude WIENEKE
__ _Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ __--Johann Conrad WIENEKE ___Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _ __

http://www.andreaswieneke.de/family/d0001/g0000098.html

Mary WIENEKE
____ - ____
Father: Johann Conrad WIENEKE Mother: Mary HEIL Family 1 : Frank
ROSAMUND
June ROSAMUND
+Bertha Mae ROSAMUND
+Rosemary ROSAMUND
+Lillian ROSAMUND
_Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ _Johann Conrad WIENEKE _ _Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _--Mary WIENEKE
_______________________________Mary HEIL _____________
______________________________

Philophena (Sister Mary Callista OSF) WIENEKE
14 Apr 1865 - 12 Aug 1960
BIRTH: 14 Apr 1865
DEATH: 12 Aug 1960
Father: Johann (John) WIENEKE Mother: Elizabeth BRECHT
_Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ _Johann (John) WIENEKE _ _Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _--Philophena (Sister Mary Callista OSF)
WIENEKE _______________________________Elizabeth BRECHT ______
______________________________

http://www.andreaswieneke.de/family/d0001/g0000000.html

Rosa E. (Sister Mary WIENEKE (Petronela OSF))
13 Apr 1867 - 4 Jun 1967
TITLE: Petronela OSF)
BIRTH: 13 Apr 1867
DEATH: 4 Jun 1967
Father: Johann (John) WIENEKE Mother: Elizabeth BRECHT
_Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ _Johann (John) WIENEKE _ _Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _--Rosa E. (Sister Mary WIENEKE
_______________________________Elizabeth BRECHT ______
______________________________

John Charles (Father John) WIENEKE
1878 - 1954
BIRTH: 1878
DEATH: 1954
Father: Johann (John) WIENEKE Mother: Elizabeth BRECHT
_Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ _Johann (John) WIENEKE _ _Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _--John Charles (Father John) WIENEKE
_______________________________Elizabeth BRECHT ______
______________________________

Mary (Mother Domenica) WIENEKE
12 Aug 1860 - 1959
BIRTH: 12 Aug 1860
DEATH: 1959
Father: Johann (John) WIENEKE Mother: Elizabeth BRECHT
_Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ _Johann (John) WIENEKE _ _Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _--Mary (Mother Domenica) WIENEKE
_______________________________Elizabeth BRECHT ______
______________________________

Eutrophia Maude WIENEKE
____ - ____
Father: Johann Conrad WIENEKE Mother: Mary HEIL Family 1 : John
KELLY
John (Bobby) KELLY
+Harold KELLY
_Heinrich WIENEKE ____________ _Johann Conrad WIENEKE _ _Anna
Katharina KLEINSCHALAU _--Eutrophia Maude WIENEKE
HOME

Yahoo! Groups Links