defer's Word of the Day

Free recipes, kitchen tips, food humor, and more delivered
by e-mail 5 days a week. Subscribe today - it's easy and
it's FREE! http://www.worldwiderecipes.com

The Word of the Day for July 16 is:

defer \dih-FER\ (verb)
*1 : put off, delay
2 : to postpone induction of (a person) into military
service

Example sentence:
James decided that it would be wise to defer buying a new
car until after he graduated from college.

Did you know?
There are two words spelled "defer" in English. The other
"defer," which means "to submit to another's wishes or opinion"
(as in "I defer to your superior expertise"), is derived from
the Latin verb "deferre." The "defer" we're featuring today is
derived from Latin "differre," which itself has several meanings
including "to postpone" and "to differ." Not surprisingly,
"differre" is also the source of our word "differ," meaning "to
be different." In fact, at one time there were two "differ"
homographs in English; four and five hundred years ago "differ"
could also mean "to put off" (and could be pronounced with the
stress on the last syllable) in the same way as "defer."

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

com/service/subinst.htm

To join the list via e-mail, send a blank e-mail to:
mw-wod-subscribe-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To leave the list via e-mail, send a blank e-mail to:
mw-wod-signoff-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Questions about your subscription?
Write to: mw-wod-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(c) 2002 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Privacy