felicitous's Word of the Day

Playwright Lanford Wilson immortalized "The 5th of July"
in 1978. Read about him in our Dictionary of American Writers.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/book/peoplace/amwrit.htm

The Word of the Day for July 7 is:

felicitous \fih-LIH-suh-tuss\ (adjective)
*1 : very well suited or expressed : apt
2 : pleasant, delightful

Example sentence:
The expression "trip the light fantastic" seems
particularly felicitous when applied to the dance style of
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Did you know?
The adjective "felicitous" has been part of our language
since the late 18th century, but "felicity," the noun meaning
"great happiness," and later, "aptness," was around even in
Middle English (as "felicite," a borrowing from Middle French).
Both words ultimately derive from the Latin adjective "felix,"
meaning "fruitful" or "happy." The ancient Romans apparently
found something particularly suitable in that juxtaposition of
meanings -- and happily, we've retained the "happy" sense in
our "felicitous."

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

To join the list via e-mail, send a blank e-mail to:
mw-wod-subscribe-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To le...

ave the list via e-mail, send a blank e-mail to:
mw-wod-signoff-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Questions about your subscription?
Write to: mw-wod-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(c) 2002 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Privacy