Re: Show UIActivityIndicatorView asynchronously

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 06:26:17 -0400, Philip Vallone <philip.vallone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
said:
>Hi,
>
>I have a UIViewController that can take a few seconds to load. The view
>searches an XML file and eventually displays the resuts. I want to show a
>UIActivityIndicatorView while the view loads. Unfortunately they are on the
>same thread. How can I get the UIActivityIndicatorView to display befiore the
>view loads? With the below code, the UI freezes up (indicator never shows)
>until the search is done.
>
>[self.activityIndicator startAnimating];
>
>TitleSearchResultsViewController *controller =
>[[TitleSearchResultsViewController alloc]
>initWithNibName:@"TitleSearchResultsViewController" bundle:nil];
>[controller setTitle:@"Search Results"];

Use delayed performance. Here's sample code from one of my own apps:

- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath
*)indexPath {
[act startAnimating];
// jump out using delayed performance, to give us a chance to start
animating the UIActivityIndicatorView
[self performSelector:@selector(showItemsForRow:) withObject:indexPath
afterDelay:0.1];
}

And then showItemsForRow inits the view controller and loads its view in the
usual way. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@xxxxxxxxxxx, <http://www.apeth.net/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!