Show UIActivityIndicatorView asynchronously

Hi,

I have a UIViewController that can take a few seconds to load. The view
searches an XML file and eventually displays the resuts. I want to show a
UIActivityIndicatorView while the view loads. Unfortunately they are on the
same thread. How can I get the UIActivityIndicatorView to display befiore the
view loads? With the below code, the UI freezes up (indicator never shows)
until the search is done.

[self.activityIndicator startAnimating];

TitleSearchResultsViewController *controller =
[[TitleSearchResultsViewController alloc]
initWithNibName:@"TitleSearchResultsViewController" bundle:nil];
[controller setTitle:@"Search Results"];

Thanks,

Phil