Subject: Re: NSArchiver atomic?

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Michael Vannorsdel <mikevann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Guess I should clarify. ÂHas anyone verified it; I've had an issue with
> partial writes archiving built-in classes. ÂThe program used to get signals
> to terminate and archive some basic classes (NSArray, NSString, NSNumber) to
> disk. ÂBut these files would only contain some of the archive about 10% of
> the time (just truncated), missing ending key closes ect. ÂThis has since
> gone away when I switched to AE (wasn't my idea to use signals) but I still
> wonder if it really is atomic or not.

You cannot run arbitrary code from a signal handler. The sigaction man
page has a list of what library functions *can* be called from a
signal handler. *Everything* else is off-limits, including all of
Cocoa and all of the Objective-C runtime.

You were doing it wrong, now you're doing it right, and your problem
went away. Seems like no surprise there!

Mike