NSSlider with mouseUp

I have a preferences window with an NSSlider control in it that has to update continuously in order to indicate just where the marker is on the scale. But, because of the relatively complex changes required when the slider is set, I only want to act on the slider settings when the slider has been released. I'm not sure the best way to do this. I have tried:

(i) Overriding mouseUp: in the view. The problem with this is that mouseUp is never called.

(ii) Subclassing NSSlider and overriding mouseUp. This gets closer. The problem with this is that the slider is not able to be moved (even though it is enabled in IBOutlet).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.