Embeded SQLite

Ok I've got two books, and all of apple's docs and when they talk about executing a simple sql query they create this big convoluted method to do a simple task...
Is there a reason to do it that way rather than using sqlite3_exec() and getting the data via the callback? Basically I've approached the sqlite in macos/iphone with the same methods as I have always approached php/mysql. However if this is going to effect my program negatively I would like to know.