Subject: Safari 4-like popup menu

I'm working on an application that suggests things as you type into an
NSTextField. I'm using Safari 4 as a reference and see that Apple used
what looks like an NSMenu under Leopard as the popup box. Under Safari
3, this looked like a simple NSTableView. My question is, is it
actually possible to popup an NSMenu, but still be able to type into a
TextField? Or is the popup box in Safari some kind of custom control
that duplicates the look of an NSMenu?