Subject: Re: How to extract the basic info from an audio
file?

Check out the QuickTime Metadata API. Here's a pointer to the reference document:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Reference/QTRef_MovieProperties/Reference/reference.html >

You may want a more verbose guide to get you started. If so, check out the QuickTime 7 Update Guide(the Metadata section):

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Conceptual/QT7UpdateGuide/Chapter02/02QT7_Update_Guide.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001163-CH313-BBCBDDGA >

Also, you might want to table a look at the sample code for the QuickTime Metadata Editor

regards,

douglas