Subject: Re: signal(SIGUSR2, SIG_IGN) not respected by
Xcode/GDB?

I'm not completely satisfied using signals (especially since they are
not dynamically allocated and I may want to use more in the future)
but signals was the lowest level alternative I could think about. This
code will be used _very_ frequently and I want to use the lowest
possible level, mainly for performance reasons but also for ease of
setup. And signals seems like a reasonable alternative considering
this.

A pipe is the canonical way to tickle a thread waiting select/poll/ kqueue. You can rest assured that pipes are quite performant.

-Ben