Re: Starting to modularize legacy

Chuck,
Cool no problem that timeframe suits us and means we can contribute in that period, if required.
Ian

Charles Severance wrote:
Ian - I will run for cover too - this is one of those discussions that can go on forever.

Here is my logic - re-factors make maintenance branches hard because unless you pull the trunk over to the maintenance branch - the modifications just don't merge. But when you pull too much from trunk you get stuff that is not bug fixes.

So my "October thought" is to get 2.2 out, in production at many sites, get 2.2.1 out and possibly 2.2.2 out and then land a bunch of refactors en-route to 2.3.

The re-factors are not usually problem for stuff working - they just make maintenance branches problematic.

In terms of Cambridge - my hope is that 2.2 is what you will be running with some bug fixes in 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 and then you can "stand pat" as we move from 2.2 to 2.3.

/Chuck