Subject: [Bacula-users] Tape Drive Contention

Hi everyone,

I've got an LTO drive utilization/scheduling problem that I'm hoping someone can help with.

I have a Schedule shared by two different Clients.  This schedule runs a daily incremental at 20:00, and a Virtual Full Mondays at 08:00.  The dailys work great; the part I'm having problems with is the Virtual Full.

Both Clients have their own disk Pools, but share a tape Pool.

I have an autochanger with two LTO4 drives:

Autochanger {

  name = "TS3310"

  device = ULT3580-TD4_0, ULT3580-TD4_1

  changer device = /dev/changer

  changer command = "/opt/bacula/sbin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

}

Device {

  name = "ULT3580-TD4_0"

  media type = LTO4

  changer device = /dev/changer

  archive device = /dev/nst0

  drive index = 0

  autochanger = yes

}

Device {

  name = "ULT3580-TD4_1"

  media type = LTO4

  changer device = /dev/changer

  archive device = /dev/nst1

  drive index = 1

  autochanger = yes

}

When the Virtual Full Jobs start, the first Client grabs both Devices, one to read from and on...

e to write to.

The second Client promptly fails when it tries to grab a Device for reading:

Fatal error: acquire.c:166 No suitable device found to read Volume

What I was expecting was that the second job would see that both LTO4 Devices are in use and wait a certain amount of time before failing.  Does anyone know how I can make this happen short of staggering my schedules?

Greg