Re: Plan to add sandbox branch

On 11/28/2018 02:33 AM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
> Hi, Jim;
> I'm coming up empty on a search against the Google-machine for SURVEY
> protocol. Any pointers you can share?
>
> I'm also curious what your thoughts are about dealing with growth of the
> worker pool beyond the control of the proxy admin. For example, if I configure
> a balancer for 10 nodes, I have an idea of tuning parameters I might set
> differently than if the number of backends is in the tens of servers.
> --
> Daniel Ruggeri

Mod_cluster solves this with configuration messages from worker nodes.
Httpd with mod_cluster configures balancers (as in mod_proxy balancer lingo)
according to CONFIG
messages from workers. So if you are spinning up a new batch of workers, you might
tell them to configure balancer differently, different timeout or retry values
for example.

Cheers
K.

> On November 27, 2018 5:23:25 AM CST, Jim Jagielski <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     In the coming week or so, I will be committing my load balance,
>     load determination and discovery work to a sandbox trunk. Many
>     people have asked for more info, so here we go.
>
>     Basically, this new feature uses nanomsg (nng) to implement the
>     SURVEY protocol between workers (nodes) and the front end server.
>     The proxy server will send out MEMBERSHIP and STATUS surveys, that
>     nodes can respond to; thus new nodes can automagically add themselves
>     as they come up as well as remove themselves when they restart or
>     shutdown via MEMBERSHIP. STATUS can be used to provide real-time
>     load on each node, which will be sent via a __packed__ struct,
>     ala NTP and other common usage patterns, in which 32bit fields are
>     converted from endian-ness to network and back. That STATUS info can
>     be used for "intelligent" load balancing and will provide some
>     typical server metrics such as memory, # of cpus, etc...

Michal Karm Babacek

--
Sent from my Hosaka Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7