Re: 2.4.38

On 09 Nov 2018, at 17:51, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, the chance is high that releases we do will work for most of you.
> AND the chance is high that releases might break something for some of you (hopefully a few).

The chance is very low that releases might break something, and this is done by design.

The place where we might break something is trunk. Before you get anywhere near a release, you have to carve out your change, and propose it for backport to a release branch. This is the first check. Two other people will then check your backport, and if problems are found you’ll be asked to fix it. That’s the second and third check. Then a release is proposed. A tarball is cut, and a whole lot of new people do checks on the tarball. In the case of 2.4.37, this was the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh check for the 8 people who tested it.

This strategy has worked very well for us since the 1990s, and we must not understate its importance.

Regards,
Graham
—