Re: Keeping backported CHANGES in trunk CHANGES?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 5:21 AM Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In trunk we do now have a 2.5 CHANGES file, ie. the file contains
entries for 2.5.0-alpha and the entries above those under the 2.5.1 heading.

I think we should add entries under 2.5.1 even if things get likely
backported and such items should no longer be removed when being
backported. Before 2.5.0-alpha, that was just a candidate CHANGES file
for the things not in 2.4.x, but now it should also document the changes
after 2.5.0-alpha. Similar to how I think it was done while switching
from 2.2 to 2.3/2.4.

That would make sense, note 2.5.0-alpha did not receive a successful
release vote, so we are still on the ground floor, so to speak.

We really need some logic to keep the two CHANGES files in-sync. The
end result, in 2.6.0, would be to have everything applicable listed as its
public/GA change from 2.4.x revision on, with everything strictly in the
alpha/beta 2.5.x change cycles listed under their respective update.