Re: NOTICE: Intent to T&R 2.4.35 in the next few hours

On 09/21/2018 09:52 AM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
I've updated the proposed, generated announcements here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpd/Announcement2.4.html
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpd/Announcement2.4.txt

A quick proofread would be appreciated - this should be the exact
messages that will be sent/published.

Here is my nickle worth.

The first and second links are "404" types and should be :

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/httpd/CHANGES_2.4

then

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/httpd/CHANGES_2.4.35

There may be changes to https://httpd.apache.org/security/vulnerabilities_24.html also.

Then this paragraph bugs me :

    This release requires the Apache Portable Runtime (APR), minimum
    version 1.5.x, and APR-Util, minimum version 1.5.x. Some features
    may require the 1.6.x version of both APR and APR-Util. The APR
    libraries must be upgraded for all features of httpd to operate
    correctly.

To me Apache httpd is the big dog of web services platforms in the open
world and so I have to wonder what features go missing and what features
get enabled with the latest and greatest apr and apr-util bits. Feels like yet another text link notes.txt or similar. Worse, that means an
actual test build and check of httpd with older apr bits. How horrific
would it be to merely change the language of that paragraph and draw a
line in the sand thus :

    This release requires the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) and also
    the Apache Portable Runtime Utility. The APR libraries must be
    upgraded for all features of httpd to operate correctly.

Otherwise I have no idea what works and what won't work with a tree of
possible intermix versions of apr-util and apr.

Otherwise it looks all fine to me.

Dennis