Developing Private Cache Module

Hello all,

I am a researcher at Lehigh University working on Transactional Memory, a concurrency mechanism that radically simplifies parallel programming and hopefully one day will improve the performance of many enterprise applications.

I want to redevelop the shared object cache that is used to filter HTTP requests. Specifically, I want to serve requests even faster by replacing the module's current structure with this concurrency mechanism. To be clear, the module I am talking about is the cache module and the file I am talking about is mod_cache_socache.c.

I have been working on this for a while but have not been able to figure out how to properly redesign the module to incorporate the new concurrency platform and have it work more than 80% of the time. I am hoping that one of you might be able to describe to me more in detail how the cache module works and the details of the current concurrency mechanism supporting it so that I may redesign it and prove the value of transactional memory in my research project.

Thanks!

––
Sincerely,
Thomas Salemy