Re: svn commit: r1840585 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: docs/log-message-tags/next-number modules/ssl/ssl_engine_kernel.c

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 06:35:17PM +0200, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 6:01 PM <jorton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Author: jorton
> > Date: Tue Sep 11 16:01:47 2018
> > New Revision: 1840585

> > Log:
> > * modules/ssl/ssl_engine_kernel.c (ssl_hook_Access_modern): Fail with
> >   403 if SSL_verify_client_post_handshake() fails, e.g. when the
> >   TLS/1.3 client didn't send the Post-Handshake Authentication
> >   extension.
>
> There also seems to be some subtilities between SSL_VERIFY_CLIENT_ONCE
> (which we use in ssl_hook_Access_modern) and
> SSL_VERIFY_POST_HANDSHAKES (another openssl flag related to PHA). I'm
> not sure to understand the docs for now...

Uh, I missed that. I'm not sure why _VERIFY_CLIENT_*ONCE* is set there
rather than just _VERIFY_CLIENT... Stefan?  This should restrict PHA to
once per connection, maybe that is sensible, not sure.

> Both seem to be mutually exclusive (though it's not really stated in
> the doc), and possibly we don't use the right one since we call
> SSL_verify_client_post_handshake() explicitely. On the other hand
> SSL_VERIFY_POST_HANDSHAKES might depend on the client being PHA aware
> (and/or advertised?), and if so should we detect it on the server side
> to use SSL_VERIFY_POST_HANDSHAKES for the handshake?
>
> I'm asking, should you have more insight on those flags...

I couldn't work out why SSL_VERIFY_POST_HANDSHAKE exists, but it didn't
seem to make any difference in testing here.  Assumed I was being stupid
but I've asked in https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/7178 now.

Regards, Joe