Re: svn commit: r1838055 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/manual/mod/core.xml include/http_core.h include/http_vhost.h server/core.c server/protocol.c server/vhost.c

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 10:16 AM Eric Covener <covener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today I learned that ServerAlias is not permitted in global scope.
> while writing tests in a different framework for $bigco.
>
> I would like to allow them in trunk. They are normally not needed  as
> aliases are really only a way to pick the best NVH from a set of
> virtual host sharing an TCP address specification -- and if the global
> config is the best TCP match, there is only one.  But this would allow
> the StrictHostCheck "don't respond to unknown hostnames" to add stuff
> when NVH'es are not (totally) used.
>
> I plan to keep it in trunk.  Any concerns?

Moments later, I learned that this might not be a very good idea after
all, as the aliases are a little too ingrained in the NVH gorp in
vhost.c.
I will probably just doc that if using this feature, one should cover
listening ports with vhosts or deal with a single name [servername]