Re: TLSv1.3 supprt for 2.4.x?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 11:17:39AM +0200, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> Dear SSL care takers and stake holders,
>
> trunk has TLSv1.3 support for some time. I just now changed the 'all' SSLProtocol selection, so that it does not include TLSv1.3. This means that in order to enable it, admins must add an explicit '+TLSv1.3' to their config (same for SSLProxyProtocl of course).
>
> With this, the added support is really an opt-in and we could backport it to 2.4.x, if we want. We have been burned with backporting SSL features just recently (by my mistake), so I would understand that people feel a bit reluctant here. On the other hand, there is certainly interest by users.
>
> So, what is your opinion?

Yes, I just worked on a backport of that set for Fedora, so I'm on board
for pushing & testing that in 2.4.x.  Possibly warrants a branch to work
through the merge?

> PS. There are some combinations in renegotiation/client certs that are
> not tested well. Therefore, '+TLSv1.3' should be tagged as
> 'experimental' or at least with a heavy caveat for those setups. But I
> see no issue with using it for plain-vanilla https: setups.

AIUI the various bits of new API added for TLS/1.3 are not necessarily
stable until there is a final OpenSSL 1.1.1 release, so maybe we should
wait for that first?

IMO there is no problem with supporting it by default (not needing
explicit +TLSv1.3) in 2.4.  Since "bleeding edge OpenSSL" is needed to
enable it at build time, this isn't going to break production users on
current systems.

Regards, Joe