When does Trigger.clear() get called?

Hello,

I see that the clear() function is implemented for various types of Triggers in the Flink API. For example:

I am working on a custom Trigger for my application and have implemented clear() in a similar way.

However, having put a breakpoint in this function it doesn’t seem to get called when I expect. The source code says that is called "when a window is purged”[1] but when my Trigger emits a PURGE this function never seems to get called. I am on Flink 1.3.

Hoping someone can shed more light on the purpose of clear() and how/when it gets called

Thanks!
Andrew