watermark does not progress

I am noticing that watermark does not progress as expected when running locally in IDE. It just stays at Long.MIN

I am using EventTime processing and have tried both these time extractors.

·         assignAscendingTimestamps ...

·         assignTimestampsAndWatermarks(BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor) ...

Also, configured the environment as so
env.setStreamTimeCharacteristic(TimeCharacteristic.EventTime)

If I run the job on a flink cluster, I do see the watermark progress.

Is watermarking not supported in local mode?

Thanks

Jo