Implementation of ElasticsearchSinkFunction, how to handle class level variables

Hi,
I'm trying to integrate ElasticsearchSink in my pipeline. The example shows using Anonymous class which implements ElasticsearchSinkFunction. This is passed as a constructor argument to another anonymous class which extends ElasticsearchSink.

Can I create a separate class instead of using anonymous classes?
If I do so, I'll have to have index and type as class level fields. How is state maintenance done for class level fields? Do I need to mark the fields as transient, and implement CheckpointedFunction?

Thanks,
Jayant