Checkpointing on cluster shutdown

Hi,

Suppose I have a working Flink cluster with 1 taskmanager and 1 jobmanager and I have enabled checkpointing with say an interval of 1 minute.
Now if I shut down the Flink cluster in between checkpoints (say for some upgrade), will the JobManager automatically trigger a checkpoint before going down?

Or is it mandatory to manually trigger savepoints in these cases?
Also am I correct in my understanding that if a taskmanager goes down first, there is no way the TaskManager can trigger the checkpoint on its own?