Re: Using RocksDB as State Backend over a Distributed File System

On the local disk you have the normal RocksDB working directory consisting mainly of the SSTable files. In the checkpoint directory on distributed storage it depends on whether or not you are using incremental checkpoints. For incremental checkpoints, the files are essentially the SSTables uploaded to distributed storage (their names are changed to avoid collisions) and some files are logically shared across multiple checkpoints (not physically, i.e. you cannot simply see this sharing from the files or directories and this is done to avoid redundant duplication because SSTable files are immutable). For non-incremental checkpoints you will find files in Flink’s own checkpoint format, where each file represent a dumps of all the key/value pairs from one RocksDB instance plus some meta data.