Re: Dev vs User Mailing Lists

+1 on combining listservs and using [TOPIC_HEADING] and try to keep issues
to one topic.

email is natively asynchronous communication, standardized across all user
systems and experiences, ubiquitous
when archived it is searchable
yes, it is old school, but it works
there is a tongue in cheek saying that all collaboration systems (e.g.
Slack) devolves to email functionality eventually
https://api.slack.com/methods/search.messages

Further related topic? [Tools for Collaboration of Community]

I'd suggest that the fineract community should:
1) stay focused on the existing and mainstream apache tools that are
current, rather than on the cutting edge, acknowledging there's always a
new thing that is cool

2) practice good email hygiene with {TOPICS} and on-topic threads, using a
mantra of disciplined culture
(this thread is now somewhat off topic, and I would note got there very
quickly)

3) reduce the number of communication channels for the fineract community,
understanding that many users and developers also are subscribed to- and
participate in-the mifos community which is the origin of the community and
still has a 90%+ overlap (90% of members of fineract are members of mifos I
figure, but didn't calc)

4) have clear roles for the various tools and flows - which are described
as part of the "Getting Started" wiki
how information is summarized and flows from one forum to another, specific
to our community but leveraging Apache norms (which also should be noted):
e.g. email discourse leads to a wiki entry like a requirements page , or
leads to a bug issue, or leads to a new feature, or leads to a development
sprint ;
e.g. JIRA entries are summarized quarterly or monthly back to the listserve
to provide round trip ;
e.g. github commit entries are auto included in JIRA tickets when tagged
appropriately ;
~Jdailey