Re: fineract'ers

Hey all,

Just FYI, I forwarded James Dailey's mail to Ross, and here was his
response.  (There's a little plug in there for ApacheCon as well.
Anyone who hasn't registered yet: there's still time. : o)

"Thanks Myrle,

You are correct I do not actively follow the Fineract dev list
anymore. Feel free to share this back to the broader community list if
it helps.

The below email from James is a good summary of our conversation at
OSCON. This conversation was a general one about “The Apache Way” and
how Apache projects deal with growing pains as their code matures. I
cannot comment on how well James has applied those general lessons to
Fineract today, but I certainly see plenty of good content within this
mail.

If I were to summarize that general guidance in a few sentences it
would be to remove as much friction from the contribution process
(code reviews, merit recognition, community alignment) as possible.
Generally speaking the lower the barriers to contribution the faster
the community will grow. This does depend on people actively
monitoring the project, but monitoring is less work than gate-keeping.

Adopting things like Lazy Consensus can be key
http://community.apache.org/committers/lazyConsensus.html.

In the days of SVN we were forced by the tooling to operate with a
branching model. This works really well. All changes are visible in
one place. Work in progress can be easily discovered and reviewed. It
means those monitoring the project have the opportunity to review work
as it happens, thus enabling them to raise concerns about a design
decision or implementation weakness early in the process. This in turn
meant that when it was time to consider a merge most of the rough
edges had ben talked about *before* they had become deeply imbedded in
finished code. It was easier to fix and people would work together to
design a fix that worked for everyone.

As James indicates Git does not force this way of working. It has
excellent support for the SVN concept of branching, unfortunately
GitHub has driven most people to click “fork” (mostly invisible to the
community) rather than branch. GitHub, therefore, has encouraged us to
work privately then issue a pull request for review when the work is
“finished”. This often means people are not keen to redo their
implementation to satisfy the broader needs of the community. They
will blame the community for “blocking” their improvements.

I am a strong believer in doing as much as possible in the open at all
times and reducing barriers to collaboration.

Interestingly, I have a talk on this topic at ApacheCon this year, if
only I’d written it already

Ross"