Re: fineract & community-app vs fineract-CN Services & fims-web-app

Hello Louis,

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I'm glad that you were able to
get both Fineract and Fineract CN installed. Many have faced issues with
Fineract CN installation - do you have demo server running as well?

See my replies inline:

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 4:51 AM Louis Niyongabo <lniyongabo@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Dev team,
>

> I have installed fineract & community-app on my dev machine, and they work
> fine. Later, through search, I realized there's also fineract-CN with its
> 30+ services & fims-web-app. I also installed them on the same dev machine,
> and they work fine as well. These 2 are very different; the former (mifos)
> has 'mifostenant-default' and 'mifosplatform-tenants' databases running on
> MySQL while the latter (fineract) has 2 sets of databases 'seshat' and
> 'playground' running on Cassandra and MySQL. The schema of
> mifostenant-default has nothing to do with the schema of playground.
>

> I would like to invest time working on either of the 2, hoping to implement
> 1 in a MFI within 3-5 months:
>
> 1)      What is the relation between the 2?

Fineract is the Generation 2 architecture developed by the Mifos Initiative
and donated to Apache which provides an open-API based core banking
platform for financial inclusion. It's mature and stable with a robust
feature set for microfinance, SACCOs, and more. It has multi-tenancy to
enable economies of scale through a shared application instance and
separate tenant databases for each financial insitution. Fineract just
contains the back-end platform and APIs. If you need a reference UI you can
download the Mifos X distribution which contains an AngularJS web app,
reporting through Pentaho and there also client and staff-facing mobile
apps.

Fineract CN is the Generation 3 architecture which aims to provide a
cloud-native microservices based architecture to help provide the community
future-proof application framework for digital financial services. As
partners on Fineract reached scalability bottlenecks or developed purely
digital-first applications and services, they needed a modular and scalable
architecture that wasn't possible through the monolithic application that
is Fineract.

See the links below for more on the new architecture and the rationale for
it.

> 2)      Is mifos the legacy being redesigned into fineract or the 2 will be
> kept as completely separate projects?

They will be completely separate projects but a migration path will be made
available as parity is achieved between Gen 2 and Gen 3 (Fineract and
Fineract CN)

> 3)      Which one do you recommend me to work on now?
>
> It really depends on the feature set you need and your timing to go to
market with your solution.  If you need to support more traditional
microfinance or group-based operations, Fineract/Mifos X is probably your
better bet. If you are supporting SACCOs or basic individual loans and
deposit accounts, the current feature set in Fineract CN might be enough
for you. The framework is still changing though as the first official
release hasn't been made yet. If you're looking to build a wallet, payment,
or more transaction-focused system, Fineract CN might also be a better
starting point for you.

*Apache Fineract CN (Gen 3)*

   - Apache Fineract CN Architectural Whitepaper
   <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeK44WJrHIvdTUxQVNVVmZROV90UnFHd0drMFhmcTV1TGxF/view?usp=sharing>
   - Fineract CN Codebase - https://goo.gl/Snjr2b
   - Fineract CN Wiki (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/
   Fineract+CN
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Fineract+CN>)
   - Overview of the project structure: https
   ://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Project+structure
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Project+structure>
   - Detailed slide deck overview on each microservice
   <https://goo.gl/tm3c5Z>
   - Creating a Custom Microservice Webinar
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6esth3q6H1Y> | Slide Deck
   <https://goo.gl/pCds7y>
   - Digital Financial Services Platform Whitepape
   <http://kuelap.io/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Kuelap-DFSP-white-paper-v1.pdf>r
   from Kuelap

*Apache Fineract 1.0 (Gen 2)*

   - Architectural White Paper: https://goo.gl/du7XhL
   - API Docs: https://demo.openmf.org/api-docs/apiLive.htm
   - Web Hooks framework: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINER
   ACT/Hooks <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Hooks>
   - Platform - Apache Fineract: Source Code
   <https://github.com/apache/incubator-fineract> | Issue Tracker
   <http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.fineract.dev+order%3Adate-backward>
   - Web App - Mifos X: Source Code
   <https://github.com/openMF/community-app> | Issue Tracker
   <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/admin/mifos-developer>| Gitter
   Chatroom <https://gitter.im/openMF/mifos>
   - Mobile App - Android Field Officer App: Source Code
   <https://github.com/openMF/android-client/> | Issue Tracker
   <https://github.com/openMF/android-client/issues> | Gitter Chatroom
   <https://gitter.im/openMF/android-client>
   - Mifos Mobile - Android Mobile Banking App: Source Code
   <https://github.com/openMF/self-service-app> | Issue Tracker
   <https://github.com/openMF/self-service-app/issues> | Gitter Chatroom
   <https://gitter.im/openMF/self-service-app>
   - Online Banking App - Web: Source Code
   <https://github.com/openMF/web-self-service-app/> | Issue Tracker
   <https://github.com/openMF/web-self-service-app/issues>| Gitter Chatroom
   - MifosPay - Mobile Wallet Framework: Source Code
   <https://github.com/openMF/mobile-wallet> | Issue Tracker
   <https://github.com/openMF/mobile-wallet/issues> | Gitter Chatroom
   - Mifos Payment Gateway: Source Code
   <https://github.com/openMF/mifos-payment-gateway> | Issue Tracker |