Re: [Numbers][Geometry] Where to define "quaternion" (Was: Making Quaternion a VALJO)

I was just thinking from a practical standpoint. My current QuaternionRotation class is still in my working branch for GEOMETRY-14 and so isn't really accessible to anyone. If I can finish it up in its current state (hopefully very soon) and get it merged, then someone else will be able to work with it and blend the functionality with commons-numbers.

Here are some notes on your questions from before:

  * Should "QuaternionRotation" inherit from "Quaternion"?

That would work conceptually. The quaternions in the QuaternionRotation class are standard quaternions that meet two other criteria: 1) they are unit length, and 2) their scalar component is greater than or equal to zero (in order to standardize the angles involved). The one sticking point here is that I'm not sure how this fits with the VALJO concept. If we can get this sorted, then this very well may be the best option.

  * Should "Quaternion" be defined in [Geometry] (and removed from [Numbers])?

Perhaps. I've certainly only used them to represent 3D rotations. Are there any other use cases from commons-numbers?

  * Are some utilities defined in "QuaternionRotation" general
    such that they could be part of the [Numbers] "Quaternion" API.
    An example might be the transformation between quaternion and
    matrix (represented as a double[3][3])?

The conversion to rotation matrix and slerp are the best candidates here. The other methods rely on core classes from commons-geometry, namely Vector3D.

One more note: I decided to make a separate package for 3D rotations in my working branch for GEOMETRY-14, so QuaternionRotation is now at https://github.com/darkma773r/commons-geometry/blob/transforms/commons-geometry-euclidean/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/geometry/euclidean/threed/rotation/QuaternionRotation.java.

-Matt